Thursday, February 20, 2014

That could be me in x years!

Tuesday, the Computer Science Department had their 8th (I think?) annual Computer Science Symposium.  It was packed with a lot of familiar alumni faces- Melissa, Lee, and Tatiana.  

I was really proud of my sister and the encouraging speech she gave about start-ups.  Unfortunately I missed half of it due to an embarrassing choking-on-water incident.  The more I tried to stop coughing, the worse it got and I think it threw my sister off- Sorry Melissa!  But everyone told me that she did great and some of the FOSSils get to meet her in person this weekend!

It was really interesting to hear everyone's advice, especially since a lot of these alumni were in our shoes not too long ago.  

The tid-bits I took away from it was to find something you're passionate about and try to excel at it.  My sister LOVES her job- not a lot of people can say that.  I want to be a person who loves their job.  To be excited to go into work.  To like and care about the people you work with.  That is where I want to be- in an environment where I can thrive and learn with people who are encouraging and supportive.  

Money isn't everything.  I've learned this lesson before in my other career and will not repeat it.  I am striving to be happy and if I'm not- I'm moving on to something else.  I'm sure this sounds a bit naive and silly, but life is too freaking short.  I aim to be happy.  I was not happy in my other career, I was miserable.  I kept giving it more time and more time.  "One more year and you will love it!"  I would keep telling myself, but that was not the case- so I did something about it.  Quitting my job and my nursing career path was by far the scariest decision I've ever made, but it was a good one...I think/hope.

Currently, I am interning under my sister's supervision at BrainPower Software and I'm...happy.  Life is pretty sweet and I really can't complain.  Even though I do not graduate until May 2015, I am starting to think ahead more and trying to figure out what I want out of, not only my career, but out of life.  I can't wait to see what happens and where I'll be in x years!

No comments:

Post a Comment