Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hours of Frustration Followed by Success!


Update:  If you can't tell by the WEKA logo up above, let me spell it out- we changed projects...again.  

Last night was spent trying to compile and run tests on Weka (something that should have been accomplished last Tuesday).  Weka aka "Waikato Environment for Knowledge Analysis" is a tool used for data analysis and predictive modeling.  Their logo is a weka bird, a bird endemic to New Zealand.  Somewhere that I would like to backpack someday, but I digress...

The first issue I ran into was committing the weka code to the team1 repository.  Apparently you can't commit the .svn files of one subversion repository into another subversion repository  it causes .svn conflicts. So the first step was to remove the .svn's I did this through the command line entering: find . -name .svn -exec rm -rf {} \.  This successfully allowed me to remove all the .svn's and I was able to commit the code to our team1 repository. 

I wasted a lot of time trying to compile the code through eclipse.  I kept getting "type" errors.  So I decided to ditch that plan and move on to another.  I wasted more time trying to google commands for the command-line   Nothing worked.  If I wasn't already frustrated, I am now.

Then I worked in terminal and used ant.  This is what I entered:
ant -f build.xml compile...SUCCESSFUL BUILD. *whew* finally getting somewhere.

Then more time was spent trying to figure out how to run the tests.  After giving the wrong command many times, finally something worked- and this is what I entered:
ant -f build.xml run_tests_core
There were 3643 tests and they all passed. It did this very quickly too- in about 1 min and 40 sec.

And now I'm stuck...AGAIN...
I tried to run "tests_all" BUT it fails...it says "hotSpot does not exist".  No idea what this means- maybe my internet was acting up- I'm not sure, but a quick google search did not shed any light on the issue and speaking of lights- mine should be off.  It's bedtime.

But before my head hits the pillow- I need to commit all this progress-
svn status
svn add copy and paste wekareports
svn add copy and paste weka/build
svn commit
.......................................................(many many many dots and 45 min later everything was committed).

We now have two new cool folders "build" and "reports". 


The ball has finally started rolling...please keep rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment